Monday, November 7, 2011

No Bang

After non-stop yard work at church and at home this weekend - FINALLY a gorgeous weekend and me home at the same time - I loaded up a movie and decided to mess around with the old Browning last night.   As usual, pain in patoot to disassemble.  And to reassemble.  And once reassembled, disinclined to dry fire.  This is something that has been happening intermittently.  I'm not a gunsmith and I'm not about to take an old gun like that apart beyond a point without knowing what I'm doing.  But I did notice something after repeated fiddlings - slide and barrel assembly off, dry fires.  Slide and barrel assembly back on, nada.  So I'm thinking that once assembled there is pressure being put on something that shouldn't have pressure on it or the other way around - pressure is NOT being put where is SHOULD be put.  I went to bed with it still not being functional, but it flashed through my mind after I had turned the lights out that the firing pin assembly tends to pop out without being asked.  Tonight's job is to see if maybe it's the way the firing pin and spring are seating that's causing the problem.

9 comments:

  1. Have you seen this YouTube video? Does it give you any help with your problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bob - no I hadn't, thanks, and I found an even better one through it. One of the things I've noticed is that the barrel on mine never rotates or moves as easy as the videos I've seen. I don't see any burrs in the metal, but maybe it's not quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you got it back together and functional... Or you have a spare loaded and available...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Old NFO - I've got my little .38, but mentally I've been dividing my house in quadrants and realizing that the .38 laying beside my bed is absolutely useless if I'm downstairs watching TV at midnight. But right now I don't feel that the .32 is reliable. Might fire, might not.

    Granted, the last time I absentmindedly opened the door without checking first it was a little lost Asian guy and I was equally absentmindedly holding the very large chef's knife I'd been cutting veges with... Our paths crossed in town a couple weeks later - he never found the folks he was looking for and he HAD noticed the big knife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack! Stupid newbie! But now I want a cut away diagram of how it all works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the more reason to get you a decent pistol made this century. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Murphy's Law - Yeah. Or at least closer to 2011...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try taking apart a Ruger MK II pistol for the first time. You better have instructions of how to put it back together. It will make you take up cussing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Duke - I know if serious cussing time has been reached it's time to stop because I'll start trying to force it.

    ReplyDelete