Monday, August 23, 2021

I Paid About $18 To See A Movie In A Theater



Last night.  I never pay that much.  We have a $5 theater just up the road.  And I have a big TV.  But once in a while a movie needs to be on a big screen, with the whole theater experience.  This month is Gene Roddenberry's 100th birthday.  And the 35th anniversary of the release of the best of all the Star Trek movies, Star Trek IV: The Journey Home.

There were only 5 of us in the theater.  My daughter and her husband went to the earlier show and there were only 12 there. That makes me sad.  Because once there was much joy in dreaming of finding out what's out there.

I smiled all the way from the first musical notes to the end.  Because these are my people.  These are the people we dreamed of in the 60s.  We were multiculturists, we were believers in diversity.  

Now we are called racists.  Bigots.  And a hundred other nasty names.

I was a bit tearful on the way home.  I miss them so much.  Scotty, Bones, and Spock (and his parents) long buried.  Uhuru lost in dementia, Sulu lost in bitterness.  Kirk at least, at 90, still busy.  Chekov mourning the freak death of a son.  

And it all was juxtaposed against the current "leadership" as we leave Afghanistan.

A crew willing to disobey orders and face whatever that brings to do what is right.  Against the lack of a voice crying in the wilderness.

These, these imaginary people, THESE are my people.  And I miss them, and the great heart behind them, so very, very much.



3 comments:

  1. The Voyage Home is indeed the best of the original crew's movies. Thank Heaven for Blu-Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been in a theater in years, no desire, especially now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a marketplace where buyers and sellers may connect based on their requirements. You must have an Amazon account to take advantage of these features. If you are a first-time user and are unsure how to log into Amazon without an OTP, the methods below will assist you.
    ----------------------------
    Amazon Bellen

    ReplyDelete