Monday, July 25, 2011

Childhood Redux

So have you ever had a bug whose main symptom was that every time you got up your body said "I think I'll have a little lie down now."  That was Friday.  Spent it staring at episodes of "Hoarders".  I shouldn't do that - I can watch stuff like "Bones" and "CSI" with all their icky stuff and not be bothered, but if I watch too much of "Hoarders" I have nightmares.  Go figure.

And with this bowl of heat and humidity over us it seemed like maybe yard work was not the best idea on Saturday so I slid on over to Frederick, MD, to run my errands and catch a movie - "Captain America".  Great, great fun.  Don't pay the extra for 3D - I hope the enthusiasm for that passes soon.  A good movie just needs to be a good movie, and this one entertains quite well.



When I went off to college, I left behind a stack of Marvel comics that I had been buying for years.  They cost 10 cents a piece at the time I started buying them and were a mix of X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers and the like and would probably be worth a fortune now.  Unfortunately, Mom took the opportunity to toss the whole collection out while I was away.  That and my teddy bear.  I don't know which upset me more - the loss of the comics or the loss of my teddy bear.

The loss of my G.I. Joe was my own doggone fault, though.  He cost a lot - $6 - and he was a considerably more substantial doll than those they make these days.  I left him buried up to his neck on the edge of a cow pond on Uncle Walter's farm and forgot about him.  Poor fellow.  Of course, being G.I. Joe, maybe he escaped into the woods, where his survival skills have allowed him to live and fight on.  Sort of like those Japanese soldiers that turned up on a few islands in the Pacific in the 70s, still fighting WWII, unaware of how the world had passed them by.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better, and those old comics are something else... I wish I still had some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @NFO - It suddenly occurred to me that I don't even know where one would buy comics anymore. Used to be they had their own carousel in the store.

    ReplyDelete