Thursday, November 1, 2012

Disgusted

There's a reason some of us hate politics.  Oh, yes, we recognize an obligation to contribute in some way:  voting, of course, being the primary one.  But the fact that politics is so often in the gutter disgusts and discourages us.   And it's not all one party or the other.  One platform or the other may take a higher road, but individuals get so lost in the desire for their side to win that they'll dive right into the mud, and spend a great deal of money doing so.  This has happened locally, and it's disgusting.

Among the local races are delegate races.  And among those running is someone I have known for many years and personally like.  I won't vote for him. He's a Democrat, a liberal one.  I've explained before what I think of the Democrat Party's view of the human person, its stooping to the lowest common denominator and complete lack of valuing the whole person in all its complexities.  I won't support that. 

Our mail boxes are filling up with political mailings.  Waste of money on me - I don't even look at the stuff before I toss it in the garbage at the post office.  It was only through a stray e-mail that I happened to find out about one mailing that went out.  I can't find a clear image of it, but I took this edited one from a local paper's web site:


John Maxey has never served at state level before.  Not only did he not have anything to do with the bill referred to, but in the end the governor vetoed it anyway.  Unfortunately, this came from a local Republican PAC.  It's not only dishonest, but also just plain stupid.  Our area is rural, so it's spread out.  But it's still small town.  You are always running into friends and neighbors in stores, restaurants, church. We text, e-mail, use social media, and chat on the phone. There was no way that this wouldn't be flagged.   There was no way that there wouldn't be (justifiable) outrage over it. 

And now any local Republican risks being guilty by association.  The dishonesty of the mailers will have overwhelmed the conservative message. 


5 comments:

  1. You're right; it undermines any chance of telling the real story - which is clearly bad enough, to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has a saying, "preparing to vote is like cleaning the cat box; it's a disgusting job that gets you too close to things you'd rather not touch or even be around - but if you don't do it, just like the litter box, it just gets worse."

    We've had stuff like that around here, as I imagine everyone has. I'm sick of it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading the flyer, it doesn't actually say that John Maxey voted that way. It just advises people to tell him that they've had enough of such votes.

    Still, it's guilt by inference. Kinda crummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the flyer was designed to give people the idea that he had. And that is, indeed, pretty crummy.

      Delete