Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
January 3, 2013
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
- This Act may be cited as the `Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2013'.
SEC. 2. LIMITATIONS ON PURCHASES OF AMMUNITION.
- (a) Licensing of Ammunition Dealers-
- (1) IN GENERAL- Section 923(a) of title 18, United
States Code, is amended in the matter preceding paragraph (1), in the
first sentence, by striking `, or importing or manufacturing' and
- (2) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 921(a)(11)(A) of
title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting `or ammunition'
- (b) Requirement for Face to Face Sales of and Licensing To Sell Ammunition- Section 922 of such title is amended--
- (1) in subsection (a)(1)--
- (A) by striking `for any person--' and all that follows through `(A) except' and inserting `(A) for any person except'; and
- (B) by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:
- `(B) for--
- `(i) any person except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to--
- `(I) sell ammunition, except that this
subclause shall not apply to a sale of ammunition by a person to a
licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer; or
- `(II) engage in the business of importing or
manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship,
transport, or receive any ammunition; or
- `(ii) a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
or licensed dealer to transfer ammunition to a person unless the
licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has
verified the identity of the transferee by examining a valid
identification document (as defined in section 1028(d) of this title) of
the transferee containing a photograph of the transferee;'; and
- (2) in subsection (b)(5), by striking `or armor-piercing'.
- (c) Limit on Shipping and Transporting of Ammunition- Section 922(a)(2) of such title is amended--
- (1) in the matter preceding subparagraph (A), by
inserting `, or to ship or transport any ammunition,' after `any
- (2) in subparagraph (B), by inserting `or ammunition' after `a firearm'.
- (d) Recordkeeping Regarding Ammunition-
- (1) IN GENERAL- Section 923(g) of such title is amended--
- (A) in paragraph (1)(A)--
- (i) in the first sentence, by inserting `or ammunition' after `other disposition of firearms'; and
- (ii) in the third sentence, by striking `, or
any licensed importer or manufacturer of ammunition,' and inserting `,
or any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer of ammunition,'; and
- (B) in paragraph (3), by adding at the end the following:
- `(C) Each licensee shall prepare a report of multiple sales
or other dispositions whenever the licensee sells or otherwise disposes
of, at one time or during any 5 consecutive business days, more than
1,000 rounds of ammunition to an unlicensed person. The report shall be
prepared on a form specified by the Attorney General and forwarded to
the office specified thereon and to the department of State police or
State law enforcement agency of the State or local law enforcement
agency of the local jurisdiction in which the sale or other disposition
took place, not later than the close of business on the day that the
multiple sale or other disposition occurs.'.
- (2) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 4182(d) of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to exemptions relating to
firearms) is amended by inserting `and except as provided in paragraph
(1)(A) and (3)(C) of section 923(g) of title 18, United States Code,'
before `no person holding a Federal license'.