Thursday, December 13, 2018

That Was Icky, But Things Are Much Better

So Urgent Care put me on 2 different antibiotics for my infected toe and said to see a podiatrist.  I was amazed at how much better I felt physically after just a couple doses of antibiotics.   There's always been 4 or 5 days of hell after chemo, then I start pulling out of it.  This time I only stepped up from hell to serious purgatory and just stuck there.  Cue the antibiotics and I bounced right into normal post-chemo recovery.  I think what I was blaming on the chemo was the effects of the infection on a run down body.


I was fortunate enough to get into see a podiatrist yesterday afternoon.  At least I thought I was fortunate until she took one look and said "OK, let's clean that up and see if I need to take all or just part of the toenail off."  WHAT!?  TAKE THE TOENAIL OFF?!  OH EW OH ICK OH YUCK!!!!"

You have to understand - I have this strong reaction to nail things.  Snagging one, bending it back, even if it's not enough to hurt, makes me queasy.  And it makes me jump around while saying "Ew ew ew ew!"  As it was, my foot was twitching, and that toe had a force field of pain around it that caused even air to hurt.  The idea of the toenail being taken off made me want to throw up.

But it had leaked nasty stuff and had to be cleaned out. The blankety blank anesthetic injection hurt like the devil, but she then pulled a makeshift screen around so I didn't have to watch the rest.  And then the nail basically fell off when she touched it - it was already completely detatched from the nail bed.

Today that toe was really, really angry about being fooled with but even hobbled I have felt so much better and stronger that I was more mobile than I have been in weeks.  I've spent the time cooking from scratch - nothing tastes right but I'm no longer having to force myself to eat and so I can concentrate on nutrition.  Not to mention that there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell and good food cooking all day makes a house smell lovely.

3 comments:

  1. I am no medical expert but I suspect that the nail coming off allowed the thing to finally drain and start to heal. Hopefully it - and you - can feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got that sorted. Probably better that the nail is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TBD and NFO - Thanks. It's looking and feeling better and my stomach no longer rolls when I treat it. But, yes, you can see pits where the infection was back toward the base of the nail.

    ReplyDelete