Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wedding Trip

So after finally getting my suv back on Wednesday afternoon, I pedaled over to Baltimore to spend the night, since three of us were driving to Niagara Falls together.  In my Sante Fe, which was why not having it was becoming a concern.

Thursday dawned a sterling Fall day, and we were on the road by 8:30.  I wasn't looking forward to the drive itself - 8 hours on the road just doesn't appeal.  But it turned out that the route is beautiful, with the leaves pretty much at peak, and I never got to the book I'd brought because I was too busy loving the scenery that rolled by hour after hour.   We pulled into the Four Points Sheraton at 4:30; the groom rolled in from St. Clair Shores shortly after, having been delayed an hour at the border crossing into Ontario as he left Michigan.

In the midst of all this, my sister and my nephew and his girlfriend were trying to fly up from Raleigh.  Due into Buffalo around 9 pm.  Yeah, well.  They spent the night in a Dulles Airport hotel outside of D.C.  And then spent the morning watching their flight get pushed later and later.  They finally arrived Friday afternoon, but I doubt any of them will use that airlines again.

First order of business after breakfast Friday was to obtain a marriage license.  Easily done, then another beautiful day before us.  So up to Fort Niagara, located at the mouth of the Niagara River where it empties into Lake Ontario, a site of much history and magnificent views.

We all love learning history by visiting sites like this.

I did spot something that took "concealed carry" in an unexpected direction.

Canada is right across the river, but I failed to get my passport in time so I just admired the view.

Sister and company finally got in around 2, so we grabbed lunch and then headed to the Falls.  Dwight was the only one who had been there before.  And yes, it's a serious "Wow!"

I'm assuming this is an old power station in the cliff across the river.

Hard to believe that the water flow here is only about 30% of what it was originally due to diversion for hydroelectric power.

Canada sparkles at night. Not sure what it looks like coming from the other direction. We found the tourist section of the NY a tad sketchy.

The morning of the Big Day required a trip to the spa at the Indian Casino for hair and makeup.

Then back to my hotel room to get dressed.

The weather had decided not to cooperate on Wedding Day, so it was the Falls Chapel instead.

The minister did some last minute groom spiffing.

Then my nephew Greyson walked the bride down the aisle and gave her away.

The ceremony was relatively brief, but I thought the minister did a lovely job.  Dwight started to giggle when she got to "until death do you part" - he said afterward that what popped into his mind at that moment was "Zombies".  When he started to giggle, Bronwyn started to giggle too, because she thought he was thinking of a comment he had made earlier about loving so many different cuisines that he'd be easy to poison.

And then they were man and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Dwight Johnston.

Of course, there were the obligatory staged photos afterward.

Poor Josh - always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

The sun had come out in the interim, so we dashed across the street for a couple falls photos.

It was cold and windy, though, so that didn't last long.  We headed back to the hotel, changed, and spent a couple hours in the lounge, enjoying the river view and the sunset, rehydrating, and killing time until time to go to the reception dinner.

Time to go home the morning after, but Megan had not gone with us to the Falls on Friday, so we made another stop there so she could oooo and awww too.

Windy and seriously misty at the edge.  And spectacular.  The Maid of the Mist seemed to be looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

And then it was time to head back to Baltimore.  Vibrating all the way because an axle had started to go.  Then a crawl directly back to the shop Monday morning as it got worse and worse.  But many happy memories and hopes for the future of the newlyweds.


  1. Lovely photos of scenery & the wedding. Glad all is well with your Santa Fe now.

    1. Thanks, Rev. Unfortunately, due to a couple of screw ups with parts ordering I'm still without wheels.

  2. Glad it went well! And sounds like they're off to a good start with their new lives!

    1. Went pretty much without a hitch - having a wedding planner definitely reduces stress.

  3. Thank-You for sharing those lovely picture.
    May God bless this couple.Congratulations