Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I'll Be Down To Get You in a Taxi, Honey...

Yesterday's post got me feeling nostalgic and sent me cruising around YouTube to see if any Amberola aficionados had some uploads.  And this is how "Darktown Strutter's Ball" looks and sounds when all is well in Edison phonograph world.



I'll be down to get you in a taxi, Honey,
You better be ready about half past eight,
Now dearie, don't be late,
I want to be there when the band starts playing,
Remember when we get there, Honey,
The two-steps, I'm goin' to have 'em all,
Goin' to dance out both my shoes,
When they play the "Jelly Roll Blues,"
Tomorrow night at the Darktown Strutters' Ball. 

Written by Shelton Brooks and published in 1917, a version recorded that same year by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2006.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Found youtube videos of a bunch of greats doing this piece: Ella Fitzgerald, Guy Lombardo, Lawrence Welk, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Hoagy Carmichael.

      Delete