Monday, March 5, 2012

Crud

You think that once they are 18 you are done. They can take care of themselves.  But if you've done your job right you still get phone calls because they need to talk.  And tonight I got a "I need to talk to my Mommy" call. My daughter is an investigator for Child Protective Services. I hate her job. She hates her job - she is battling a society that doesn't really value children.  Serious bad things happen. The emotional toll is horrendous.

And I'm so flippin' upset and distracted that later I manage to tangle up my own feet and fall.  Throwing my left hand out to block in the process.  I'm still not sure what I hit.  But I'm thinking I may have busted my pinkie on my left hand.  It hurts and it looks funny.  I guess tomorrow will tell whether I go get an x-ray or not.  And I dare not mention it because my daughter has already expressed concerns because I don't react to pain very much.  It's just like "Oh...Crud.  Well, there you go."

7 comments:

  1. Well, pfooey. Sorry to hear about your fall & injury; I hope everything's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your hand feels better. And thank your daughter for me for doing a job that I'm pretty sure most of us could not do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I hope your hand is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. Slightly swollen, bruised, sore joint. I think it's just a sprain. I can mess with it and type with it and it doesn't hurt any worse.

    Andy - I couldn't do the job, for sure. I'd hurt somebody. They have to be professional and wait until they are out of sight to cry over what they see. And they always have to be watching over their shoulders because of the violent scum they deal with every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about both counts... And yes, get it checked, otherwise you'll end up with it sticking out like mine does...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, NFO, it puffed up so I ran over to Urgent Care for an x-ray. Just a sprain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is better safe than sorry.
    Thank your daughter for me

    ReplyDelete