Thursday, August 19, 2021

Startling

Well.  My actual given name is a bit unusual.  Mom said that it was made up by my maternal grandmother and given to Mom's hydrocephalic sister who didn't survive birth.   OK, so I got named after someone who died.  Sigh.

Today I was calling around trying to find a vet to see one of my kitties, Artie.  One of the emergency vet office receptionists answered with her first name.  Pause.  Me: "Excuse me, but what did you say your name was?" ... Me:  "That's MY name!"  Turns out her mother's name is the same.  Her family history says it's a name made up by a great-whatever-grandparent.  I looked up where she says her family roots are.  It's entirely possible that previous generations of our families crossed paths.

As to my grandmother saying she made up the name...she was hell on wheels and not completely attached to honesty.  To say the least.  Also probably mentally ill.  Or Mom misinterpreted what she was told.

1 comment: