Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dialog

I figured that any show that had dialog good enough to be traded back and forth on the blogs I read had to be interesting. So I couldn't stand it anymore - I checked Netflix and sure enough they had "Firefly". So much to like about the show, but the dialog is flat out fun - quick and clever and it comes out of characters you can't help liking. So when I came across these examples of not-so-sparkling dialog today the difference was really clear. These are the actual translations used in Kung Fu movies that were translated for English viewers.

1. "I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way."

2. "Fatty, you with your thick face have hurt my instep."

3. "Gun wounds again?"

4. "Same old rules: no eyes, no groin."

5. "A normal person wouldn't steal pituitaries."

6. "I'll burn you into a barbecue chicken!"

7. "Who gave you the nerve to get killed here?"

8. "Quiet or I'll blow your throat up."

9. "You always use violence. I should've ordered glutinous rice chicken!"

10. "I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"

11. "You daring lousy guy!"

12. "I got knife scars more than the number of your leg's hair!"

13. "Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected."

14. "How can you use my intestines as a gift?"

15. "The bullets inside are very hot. Why do I feel so cold?"

16. "Beat him out of recognizable shape."

I actually kinda like #1.

1 comment: