Saturday, December 22, 2018

Well, That Was Fun - Update

Chemo gives all sorts of gifts.  Recently, one of the gifts has been fluid in my feet and legs.  Talked to the oncologist - he prescibed Lasik if it began causing problems.  Last week it started getting worse.  Took Lasik.  No help.  Increased the dosage.  Still no help.  Of course, I'm still dragging from chemo and the infection.  And trying to get ready to head for the kid's for Christmas.  I headed out yesterday, and 4 hrs of driving did not help my legs at all.  Fortunately, because I didn't trust my strength enough yet to do Detroit in one shot, I had reserved a hotel room at the half-way point north of Pittsburg.  I was checked in by 5 pm, dropped my bag on the bed, and thought I might as well stop at the local urgent care and see if they could give me a different diuretic or at least some advice.  Of course, particularly given my recent medical history, they weren't going to do anything without blood work, to be performed at the ER down the road.  And there's where everything went sideways.  Somewhere around 9 the ER doc walked in and I asked if I was broken.   He laughed and said "Yes, but it's something that can be fixed."  "Oh, good.  So I can go get dinner."  "Well, we have to talk about that."  First thing - the fluid is building up because my protein levels have plummeted.  Protein assists in moving fluid from tissue into the veins.  Without it, the fluid just builds up.  Second, and more importantly, my potassium levels are at a dangerously low level (severe hypokalemia) and I'm at serious risk for my heart going fluey.  At which point he dated both of us:  "It's the same condition that killed Karen Carpenter."  I get to be wired to a heart monitor and pumped full of potassium - nasty orange drink (No, no, that does NOT taste like Tang! Liar!), two IV rounds, and horse pills.  I ain't seeing that hotel room until I'm out of the danger zone.  So, here it is, 4 pm the next day, and a blood draw at 6 will tell me if I'll be kicked loose.  I won't be heading on to MI tonight.  My bag is in the hotel office and I'll just pick it up, check back in, and hopefully actually get some rest tonight.  Hospitals are not restful.

At least the food is decent.  I'm good with salisbury steak for dinner.  And I'll be really focused on nutrition from here on out.

Update:  No joy.  The potassium is coming up but somehow since last night I've become anemic.  Apparently my system is having a hissy fit.

4 comments:

  1. The other 3 things that will help with that edema in your lower legs is to (1)avoid salt and sodium like a plague. Stick to about 1500mg of sodium in your diet per day. If you shoot for 1500, most folks will realistically hit 2000mg. Read labels like crazy, sodium shows up on all sorts of things, especially in canned or packaged anything. So ham, hot dogs, fast food, bacon, sausage, and canned soups are off the menu.

    The second is if your butt is in the chair, feet need to be in the air---higher is better--well, as long as you can breath---so the recliner gets tipped waaay back.

    And, third, when you take the water pills, either Lasix or any of the other diuretics, take it with a glass of water, and then go put your feet up for 45 minutes to an hour. The gravity helps the meds work more effectively causing the fluid to shift back up out of your toes/ankles/etc so the heart can get it off to the kidneys and out of you. Make gravity work for you instead of against you. This is the main reason why, when you go lay down in bed, you are up every 60-90 minutes running to the bathroom. So put your feet up during the day so you get your running to the bathroom done during the day instead of at night when you would rather be sleeping.

    And yes, eat more protein, which most folks on chemo don't usually like to do. Greek yogurt is one good source, as are eggs, puddings, and there are shakes and protein drinks out there to try if eating much steak/fish/chicken doesn't appeal.

    Since you are driving, stop every hour (I know, it is a major pain, do it anyways) and get out and walk around the car for 10-15 minutes to keep the circulation going. You don't need to add blood clots or weeping stasis ulcers to your medical diagnosis list.

    Hanging up the home care nursing cap now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks Suz. I was aware of the first 2 in a vague sort of way - I've never had to deal with edema before. Did not even think about HOW to properly take the meds.

      At least by having this happen here, the kids have been arrived to rescue me. If it had happened at home I'd still be in the hospital but I'd be 4 hours further from them. This way I don't have to drive and I won't be traveling alone. I'm hoping that will help tip things in favor of discharge - I couldtell that none of the docs liked that I was alone.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get back on track soon.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rick, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

      Delete